Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Woven Daydreams

To say the only creative thing that I do is knit would be a lie. In fact I would be lying straight through my teeth! Another hobby I enjoy doing is weaving! Does anyone weave anymore? I'm the only person that I know who still weaves! Anyways, my father deals with antiques, and he came across this nifty little hand loom. It's larger than the 2-inch hand loom that some people still use. I really enjoy weaving on it. And unlike knitting, it's instant gratification to me. It only takes me about 5-10 minutes (depending what's on TV), for me to weave a square.

So I'm working on a throw blanket. For some reason I'm taking my sweet time with it. I've been working on and off at it for a couple months now. If I really focused on it I would already be done, but unfortunately that's not the case. I wanted to make a throw blanket for my Fiance and I for when we get an apartment together! That probably won't be until late winter/early spring, so I have plenty of time to finish it. But I'm very excited for when it will be done!! I can't help but daydream about me and my sweetheart cuddling up under it while watching TV. Or maybe he will be reading a book while I knit. Either way, they are very warm and happy daydreams! Let's hope his job hunt goes well so he can move back to RI and be with me!!

As of right now the colors of the "blanket" are tan and black. That will change. I will be adding red and white panels into it as well. The yarn is %100 cotton. I normally don't work with %100 cotton (only wool), but I am absolutely obsessed with it for this project!!





INTENSE WEAVING! I had my stitches a little too tight when I first learned how to weave, and I ended up snapping the hand loom while trying to thread the needle through. Handy Dad to the rescue! He came and fixed it for me with some plastic stuff. Whatever! It works now (thanks dad!)


Aw ain't we cute?? Taken about 4 hours after he proposed to me. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great little weaving loom! That brand of loom (or one similar to it) was recently featured in Piecework Magazine. How fun to have one of your own!

    ReplyDelete